Wednesday 26 July 2023

Blogger Meets Blogger

Over the years I’ve had had some cool random encounters (some years ago I bumped into a fellow member of the Macclesfield diving club in the village of Pai in the north of Thailand) but the latest is perhaps the most remarkable (even if it's not quite in the league of Safecracker Meets Safecracker in Surely You’re Joking). I was riding the Red Line on Boston’s T en route to Belmont from a conference in Vermont when my friend Ash Jogalekar, well known for The Curious Wavefunction blog, came over and introduced himself. Ash and I have actually known each other for about 15 years but we’d never before met in real life.

The odds against such an encounter would appear to be overwhelming since Ash lives in California while this was my first visit to the USA since 2015. I had also explored the possibility of getting a ride to Boston (some of those attending had driven to the conference from there) because the bus drops people off at the airport. Furthermore, I was masked on the T which made it more difficult for Ash to recognize me. However, I was carrying my poster tube (now re-purposed for the transport of unclean underwear) and, fortuitously, the label with my name was easy for Ash to spot. Naturally, we discussed the physics of ligand efficiency.

No comments: